Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Week 3: Media and Information Literacy

Callison, D. and Preddy, L. (2006). The blue book on information age inquiry, instruction, and literacy. Westport, Conn: Libraries Unlimited.

This week our class readings dealt with 21st century learners and literacies. The reading I selected to read was a chapter from Callison and Preddy's book titled "Information Literacy, Media Literacy, and Information Fluency." Within the chapter, the authors define each concept and provide practical ways to teach it, which I found very useful because I have to admit there are so many buzzwords related to literacy today that they all seem to be merging together in my brain.
Of all of the concepts discussed in this chapter, what struck me the most was probably the section on media literacy. In particular, I liked the author's inclusion of the Ontario Ministry of Education's 1989 description of what a media literate person should know.  In this description, the first bullet point stated the following: 

"All media are constructs.  Although media appear to be a natural reflection of reality, rather they are a carefully constructed presentation of reality that reflects an intended message or point of view." (Callison & Preddy 2006)

When I read this description, I immediately thought of what happened just this past summer with the whole Shirley Sherrod fiasco in which government officials essentially fired or encouraged Shirley to step down from her position within the Department of Agriculture due to a video that was edited to make her appear unwilling to assist white farmers.  I wonder if the people responsible for her resignation ever had someone, such as a school librarian, teach them about media literacy during their education? 

Clearly, a lack of understanding about media and information literacy is a problem today for people of all ages, but unfortunately it is a concept that it isn't receiving much attention in schools.  According to Callison and Preddy, "A few more aggressive schools, often in an 'alternative' setting, have pushed media and information literacy to the forefront of the curriculum rather than see these literacies as add-ons. "  I know that when I was teaching, I certainly did not make time for these literacies mostly because I was unaware of them and because I was too busy focusing on my own curriculum.  As a school librarian, I will definitely have to make a point of educating my staff and working these literacies into the school curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment